Scholastic Production Editor in New York - SoHo, New York
New York - SoHo, New York, United States at https://scholastic.referrals.selectminds.com/jobs/3134/other-jobs-matching/location-only
3 days agoPost Date
Apply for Job
Share this Job
Sign Up for Job Alerts
The Production Editor oversees production of 50-60 Trade hardcover novels per year in addition to related ebook and school market simultaneous editions. Responsible for assessing and assigning freelancers, as needed, for copyediting and proofreading of manuscripts. Checks for quality assurance of text, illustrations and photos, and covers all stages from manuscript to finished books.
• Handles book production from copyedit through bound book, including bound galleys (where applicable) and ebooks
o Reviews copyedit and passes (assess freelancer work as needed
o Answer copyedit/proofreader queries when possible
o Keep book/series style sheet updated and enforce house style
• Carefully review materials (manuscripts, art, covers/jackets) and traffic them through various in-house departments
• Work closely with creative, editorial and manufacturing departments on all aspects of a book
• Work with Senior Production Director to create and maintain schedules, often crash
• Follow up with editorial/design when deadlines are missed
• Attend weekly/monthly status meetings, and attend various other meetings as needed
• Enforce best practices as provided by Senior Production Director
HOW YOU CAN FIT
REQUIRED SKILLS / KNOWLEDGE:
• Excellent copyediting and proofreading skills
• Strong knowledge of grammar, spelling, and punctuation
• Familiarity with The Chicago Manual of Style
• Ability to meet deadlines while maintaining high standards of quality and juggling multiple projects
• Strong computer skills – MAC preferred
• 3-5 years experience as a production editor at a trade publisher; children’s book experience a plus
WHO WE ARE
Scholastic Corporation (NASDAQ: SCHL) is the world's largest publisher and distributor of children's books, a leading provider of core literacy curriculum and professional services, and a producer of educational and entertaining children's media. The Company creates quality books and ebooks, print and technology-based learning programs for pre-K to grade 12, classroom magazines and other products and services that support children's learning both in school and at home. With operations in 14 international offices and exports to 165 countries, Scholastic makes quality, affordable books available to all children around the world through school-based book clubs and book fairs, classroom collections, school and public libraries, retail and online. True to its mission of 97 years to encourage the personal and intellectual growth of all children beginning with literacy, the Company has earned a reputation as a trusted partner to educators and families. Learn more at www.scholastic.com.
Some benefits that we offer:
• 100% vested of 401(k) Retirement Plan after 5 years employment
• Up to 1M worth of supplemental Life Insurance
• Tuition Reimbursement
• Purchase Scholastic stock at a 15% discount
Thank you for your consideration in choosing Scholastic.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Scholastic is an Equal Opportunity Employer . Our policy is clear: there shall be no discrimination on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, pregnancy, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, or status as a disabled veteran or Vietnam veteran.
Those factors shall not influence the determination of qualifications for a job or other opportunity within the company. Further, all personnel actions (such as compensation, tuition aid, benefits, transfers, promotions, and dismissals, company-sponsored training, social and recreational programs) shall be administered without discrimination. To view the full EOE policy, click here at http://www.scholastic.com/aboutscholastic/files/EEO-is-the-Law-Poster-English.pdf .